From the Pluscarden Abbey Website http://www.pluscardenabbey.org/home.asp
The Re-Dedication Mass will take place at Pluscarden Abbey on Thursday 5th November at 11.00, followed by lunch.
Pluscarden Abbey was founded in 1230, and presumably dedicated within a few years of that. The original Dedication Crosses may still be seen on the walls in the Transepts. Very considerable destruction occurred in 1390, at the hands of the Wolf of Badenoch, followed by extensive re-building and repair in the mid to late 15th century. Surely that would have been followed by a second Dedication. Evidence of this is the presence of four Dedication Crosses in the Chancel, situated in areas of later stone repair. After the Reformation of 1560, monastic life at Pluscarden ended, and the Monastery buildings gradually fell into ruin. In 1948, however, a band of monks from Prinknash Abbey in Gloucestershire came up to resume monastic observance at Pluscarden, and to begin the long, slow process of restoring the buildings. This work is still not complete. In all the years from 1948 to the present, no re-Dedication of the Church, after its centuries of ruin, has taken place.
The re-Dedication on 5th November will therefore be a very significant event, rich in symbolism and ritual, including the re-anointing of the original dedication crosses, and the solemn dedication of the Altar, with water and oil, and fire and incense. The liturgy will end with the placing of the Blessed Sacrament in the new Tabernacle, to be situated for the first time in the centre of the sanctuary, so that everyone in Church can clearly see it.
All are warmly invited to the Mass of Dedication, which is likely to last around 3 hours. It will be followed by lunch, probably beginning somewhat after 2.00 p.m. For those who wish and are able to stay, the afternoon will end with Vespers, Exposition, Te Deum and Benediction at 6.00 p.m.
Please note that anyone wishing to stay for the lunch needs to indicate this via: firstname.lastname@example.org or by post to Pluscarden Abbey, Elgin IV30 8UA, or by phone 01343 890 257.